Sunday, March 8, 2015

"It's For Kids" Rant

Warning: This post contains extreme swearing. Please read at your own discretion.
The following statements are my own opinion. Please respect that.

As most people know, I am a critic. I write my reviews as opposed to making videos. The stuff I review is targeted for a mainly adolescence themed subject these days. But, I thought I should add my two cents to the mix.

Now, if I had a Union Pacific EMD SD70ACe for every time I heard the title of the post above, I'd own the entire fleet by now. Whether it's a stupid family film, or a family program on television (both live-action, and animated). When people like me, MrEnter or Chris Tomson post a negative review, the general perception is the same thing. And that is, "Oh, it's for kids or families, so why the hell should you care?"


The simple answer is, WE WERE KIDS TOO DUMB ASS!! And the majority of us want the upcoming children to grow up with the same dose of happiness and humor that we grew up with. The more those who do not comprehend this argument, the more it gives television executives, film writers, and so on, the feeling that what they are doing is right, and they DO NOT need to try. And when they don't try, we get pathetic films like Cars 2, Planes and Turbo. And very bad episodes of once proud classic cartoons such as SpongeBob SquarePants.

When it comes to television programs or films, the people behind the scenes think that the audience is too dumb to realize good quality right in front of their fucking face. Some of today's parents simply don't care because all they do is plop their child in front of a television set or a cinema screen and use it as a way to let the kid be happy, and they can get peace as opposed to being a tool that can educate children about the facts of life and help them to learn and grow as they get older. And the predominance of shows that they are exposed to today, do not educate them. And if they do indeed educate them, they are exposing them to situations or scenarios that they do not need to fucking know at a young age. I would listen some of them, but my friend Chris Tomson did so in his own blog post. (See here... It's For Kids by Chris Tomson)

Now, am I not saying that adult issues shouldn't be tackled. On the contrary, I do believe that they should be tackled. But, teach them when it's appropriate and not before! 

So, returning to the argument at hand. Those who say, 'It's just for kids.', well... you are equally as idiotic as those who behind the scenes who think kids will enjoy any old damn thing you put on the fucking screen. They write crappy stories that make no sense or have no kind of story whatsoever, it's just a jumbled mess of segments thrown together and is called a 'story'. (I used quotations because most films that do that don't even have a story. It's mainly random segments disjointed together to form an alleged story which doesn't make sense. Yes, I'm looking at you Michael Bay, and author Stephenie Meyer, I'm looking at you as well.)


Now, yes, writing for kids is a challenge. But, since they often ignore the challenge and do the simplest thing possible, we are given stupid episodes like Driven to Tears and Rule of Dumb. It makes me sad that people in the entertainment industry, make crap, and yet the censorship groups like the Federal Communications Commission in the United States let this shit slide and turn a blind eye to what is right, and instead, they let this fucking crap pass off as entertainment, because, you know, 'It's for kids!'. I have an idea, lets... do the same thing we do for adults that'll work, right?! Oh noes! (spelled like that deliberately) We can't do that because adults have a voice for what they do or don't like. SO WHY THE FUCK AREN'T ADULTS DOING THAT FOR CHILDREN TOO!?!


In closing, I don't give two blind fucks, what people think. I will continue to review what I review, because I believe that if we as internet critics don't stand up for children, then who will. Certainly not their goddamn parents. It's time we, as a community, stand up and form a group and stand tall and tell those idiots in the entertainment industry that we have had enough of their shit! This isn't a time to rest on our laurels, this is a time for action! We didn't grow up on crap as kids, and we spoke out when we didn't like something. So, why the fuck is it hard for us to do it now?! We need to get off our asses and unite to stand up for what is good and decent, and not to allow this shit to continue on, anymore!!

4 comments:

  1. Okay. I understand that you, MrEnter and others within the Internet critic community have spoken about this issue multiple times and I also understand that you don't like what passes for children's entertainment.


    Heck, there are some shows which I've looked at where I myself often wonder how or why someone would think this could be something meant for kids.


    A lot of us would like to have the kind of quality in the shows we have now like we had back in the 1990s and there's nothing wrong with wanting that to come back.


    You Ms. Black and the person of whose post you've linked to are free to express your opinions in any way that you see fit and if I may say so, I sympathize with you all, greatly... to an extent.


    HOWEVER (and this is something that I've noticed with MrEnter as well), the sheer anger and rage towards the argument of "It's Just For Kids, Why Do you Care About This So Much?" made by those you've encountered could get misconstrued and taken out of context by those who either have never been on the Internet before or may only be on the Internet for a short time.


    By all means, review whatever you feel like. Let your voice be heard.

    But, there are going to be people who will trust you as if you were a professional critic and take what you say as fact as opposed to it merely being an expressed opinion.

    Do you have to sugarcoat everything and only say something nice about everything that you review? NO.

    Do you have to give what you review mercy points in some respects? It all depends on whether you want to or not. If not, then don't.



    What I'm saying in all of this is: You can be angry and passionate about a subject like this. Moreover, you can let it be known that you don't like what's being shown.


    Yet while you're doing that, remember to be rational with your thoughts. I could see what you were doing and I manged to get your point. But, not everyone will see it that way and it can be easy to dismiss you (and other critics like you) as just complainers who complain for the sake of complaining.


    In other words, don't be like this person being discussed, here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZwLYG9PsUM

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COZm2C4NTlU



    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% you made good points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, I can totally relate to this. I I wholeheartedly agree.

    ReplyDelete